Saturday, November 24, 2007

Could it be that simple?

Recently, Shaun Groves and his brother-in-law, Brian, (who is in the process of adopting a child, maybe siblings, from Ethiopia) traveled to Ethiopia with Compassion International and attended the graduation of Compassion's Leadership Development Program. While they were there, they were able to capture wonderful images and video footage of their time there as well as spend time with some wonderful Ethiopian people. This excerpt is from Shaun's blog speaking of his time in an orphanage there. His words are convicting and ever so true:

"Adoption, like marriage, I think, is a living breathing metaphor for God’s love of us. I felt that today. I felt God in me wanting to hold these strangers, kiss them and sing to them, take them home and raise them as my own.

Later, as Brian and I processed what we’d experienced together in the orphanage I became convinced of something Brian tried to teach me long ago. We really do make God’s will too complicated. I do. I wring my hands and analyze and worry, discuss and think, think, think. I pray and beg God to speak. “What is your will for my life? What do you want from me?” I ask. And he’s silent. Or is he? As Brian says, maybe God’s will is found wherever my ability and someone else’s need intersect. Does apathy sometimes come from good intentions - from waiting and praying for instructions we don’t really need after all? Is God speaking already and constantly to us through our ability and excess and the world’s pain?

There are over 800,000 orphans in Ethiopia waiting for parents. There are over 100,000 children in Compassion programs waiting for sponsors. That is need.

We are filled with the power of the Holy Spirit that raises the dead, gives sight to the blind, repairs all that is broken on this side of Heaven and even teaches us how to parent. We have hands that can hug, hearts that can love, stoves that can cook, refrigerators full of food and more living space per person than the citizens of any other nation in the world. That is ability.

Are there 900,000 American Christians asking God to announce his will to them right now when he’s already speaking through their bible, their spare room and their bank accounts?

Could it be that simple?

No comments: