Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vaccination Fun!

Today, Brad and I went to get our shots to travel to Ethiopia. Yes, most people get their shots while in the process of adopting (during the dossier process or right thereafter). Except us. We have been in this adoption process for 2 1/2 years and we still haven't been vaccinated! But really for good reason.....I have researched all the shots we could possibly receive and have asked endless numbers of people, endless numbers of questions, endless numbers of times about our vaccinations. It has always kind of scared me about getting EIGHT vaccinations and having all those "ills" swimming around in our bodies! The CDC only requires people traveling to Ethiopia to receive the Hep A series and we have been told if we only stay in Addis Ababa (where the elevation is higher with no incidence of mosquitos, etc.) we won't have to get the other vaccinations. However, now that we have our referral and know that we might be able to travel south to meet our children's birth family, we might be suseptible to other diseases to which we need to be vaccinated.

Here is the long list of vaccines: Hep A & B series (meaning 2 or 3 shots spaced out between several months), Polio, Tetanus, Meningitis, Tetanus, Typhoid, Yellow Fever and Malaria (which are actually in pill form).

Brad has always been of the mindset, "Just load us up with everything just in case", but I have always been a little more leary. I had printed off the Adult Vaccination Chart of when and what vaccinations adults should have and brought it with me (the nurses just looked at me like I was a complete LOON!) But honestly, who can remember when you were last vaccinated for Tetanus or Polio??

So, we were in the doctor's office and I kept saying, "But didn't we have to be vaccinated for (fill in the blank) when we went to college??", as Brad was getting more annoyed at me saying, "Look, both of your arms will just be sore for a few days....no big deal! It is worth getting ALL the shots!" And while I really do agree, I just wanted the doctor to tell us it is being OVER-precautious to get all these shots.....but he didn't.

So, we left his office with 2 shots (one in each arm) of Hep A and Hep B. He said we need to come back to receive the rest at a later time before we travel. That seemed really nice to me since I think he was trying to give us a compromise (or maybe just wanted us to pay another copay which never really occured to me until now)!

So guess whose arms are NOT sore one bit and guess whose arms and neck started getting stiff an hour after the shots?

Yes, I am typing this post in a semi-paralyzed state. Wonder what the morning holds for me?

2 comments:

Sparkz said...

I love the picture- too funny. Sorry your semi paralyzed! I decided the the risk from teh shots was the lesser evil than actually "catching" a disease! :)

Robin said...

I just saw the picture on this one. Hilarious.