Monday, April 14, 2008

Bandit!

We have been discussing whether or not we should get a dog for the kids for the past year or so, but felt like we should wait until the adoption is completed to take on that responsibility. Well, seeing as we started the adoption process two years ago and we have now been waiting for a longer time than we had originally thought, we decided that we would go look into the Pet Adoptions with Twyla's Friends. My friend, Amy, told me about it and they had gotten their dog from there. So Saturday, we ventured out to see the dogs. I had already looked online at several local Pet Adoption sites and thought I might be set on one particular dog I had seen.
Brittany and I drove up to check out the dogs and it seemed like they were all HUGE dogs like rottweilers, greyhounds, german shepherds, etc. We petted a few of them casually and then Brittany spotted a precious little black and white freckled puppy hiding behind the tree. She pointed him out to me and I fell in love with him! He was a beautiful, playful little puppy but very docile (which is what I was most looking for). When I walked up to him, he immediately fell down and rolled over, never puppy biting, just licking continuously. I asked his owner about him and she said he was a 4 month old Australian Cattle Mix (the mix part being border collie) and he was crate trained! Music to my ears! She had also trained him to tap a bell on her door to go outside! I was sold! I quickly called Brad because other people began eyeing "my" dog! He got the kids in the car and met us up there to see how the kids responded to the dog. The kids got to walk him (and his brother, Smokey) to see which one they wanted and we all fell in love with little Bandit! We decided to adopt him on the spot, paid a donation fee, but were sad that we couldn't take him home just yet because he needed to be neutered. His appointment to be neutered was today and she will be bringing our new little puppy to our house on Wednesday! We are all thrilled and excited to have our first pet (since we have had Isabella and Elijah) in our family!

15 comments:

Rebecca said...

Awww! He is so cute! The kids are going to love having a dog! We're definitely dog lovers over here!

Natalie Fournet said...

So fun to catch up on reading your blog! Love to read what God is doing in your family...minus the visits to the doctor:(

Natalie Fournet said...

So fun to catch up on reading your blog! Love to read what God is doing in your family...minus the visits to the doctor:(

Rebecca said...

Bandit is very cute...BUT to make it clear...Rebecca Goldman didn't write the previous entry about loving dogs. There are no dogs in our near future:)

Lesley Boyd said...

Have you told the kids about the infamous "Sasha".....???

emily said...

cute Bandit!!! How exciting for the family:)

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

Welcome to the family Bandit! Hopefully you'll be joined by new siblings soon!
Blessings,
Kristy

J, A, T and Y said...

Oh ... your new puppy is so cute. I hope your family is feeling better!!!!

Sparkz said...

I love Twyla’s Friends! My family has adopted a few dogs from them! They run a very good adoption agency and are reputable. Also, you can't go wrong with Australian Cattle Dog and Border collie mix. Good choice. You won't be sorry. They are both smart, attentive, gentle, good, etc dogs. I have a blue heeler and wouldn't trade her for anything. Have fun at the I-fest. I am sure you will. It's really neat to se a lot of things Ethiopia. The Blue Nile is there for food but not w/the other food vendors- its in the out of africa section. We didn't realize it until after we had bought food...

Sparkz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sparkz said...

:) Oh and to answer your question: North and East of Houston, out off 59, and you?

Anonymous said...

Cute dog. Keep him busy. Border collies NEED activity and jobs to do. Great dogs but will 'find' something to do (climb fences, chew, etc) if not kept busy. Cattle dogs are 'heelers'. You might find they like to nip at the kids heels as they walk about. Easy to work with...but just part of the nature of the breed.

Hope you get a referral soon. I know how you must be getting so anxious.

Jan
(part of the F.B.I. list)

m&r said...

Congrats on your new addition (in case it isn't obvious from our blog - we're big fans of four-legged family members!).

Hope to hear that you have another new addition to your family soon!

LISA said...

New to your blog.I'll have to play catch-up.We are also waiting for siblings.It's been 20 weeks!Ugh! This waiting stuff is hard!

los cazadores said...

Hi Kimberly, its nice to meet you! Thanks for the message on my blog! :) That puppy is so cute, great choice. He looks really sweet.

Cindy